Sunday, December 21, 2008

John Abraham: Initially, it was fun to be regarded as a ‘body beautiful’

You were away from Mumbai for eons… What were you doing in Philadelphia for so long?
John Abraham: Shooting, of course! For New York , Kabir Khan’s film. I was there for three long months and if it wasn’t for my parents, brother, sister-in-law and Bipasha visiting, I’d have gone crazy. When they all came to see me, I stopped feeling homesick. I was away for so long that sometimes when I woke up I forgot where I was. Before Philadelphia, I was in Miami shooting for Dostana for three months.

How was the shooting in Philadelphia?
John Abraham: Gruelling, but very satisfying. I shot the most emotionally and physically exhausting scenes of my life. Frankly, I haven’t done an action film since Dhoom . It’s a genre I really enjoy. New York has very effective action. I had a lot of running around to do, but I enjoyed myself. At this point of my career I just want to push myself beyond the limits.

Your ’briefs’ in Dostana created quite a stir. You seemed to be at your hottest best and flaunting it all, too.
John Abraham: Oh, those bold quotes and pictures were just endorsements for Dostana . But I’m never ashamed of talking about my body. Though at times I do feel like a meat shop. I am proud of my physique. But I’m also good with emotions. In fact, I perform the best when I’m unhappy. I function best when in angst.

Happy to be a gay icon?
John Abraham: I’ve been told that. And I accept it very graciously. But women have reacted as strongly to me in Dostana as men. Some have reacted to the sensuality; others to the fitness. But everyone has a query about my body. Very often I don’t know how to react. Initially, it was fun to be regarded as a ’body beautiful’. I wonder how audiences will react to my physicality in my next release "Aashayein" where I’ve lost 30 pounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment