Saturday, September 27, 2008

Shruti Hassan - Doing it her way


Hot as hell, with a voice and attitude to match, this girl is a born rockstar. After wowing audiences with her sultry voice, Shruti Haasan is all set to make her acting debut opposite current heartthrob Imran Khan in Soham Shah’s Luck.

Ask her whether the journey this far has been easy because of her lineage and pat comes the answer, “Well it really depends on how you look at it. If having it easy means there are more doors open to you, then one must not forget that you still have to navigate your life yourself. I’m not gonna lie, having acting greats like Kamal Haasan and Sarika as parents has in a sense opened doors. I am proud of my lineage but it’s not something I rely on,” she says.

Shruti says music is her passion and that is what she lives for. Lead vocalist of Extramentals, Shruti and her boys rocked the crowd at the Hard Rock Café recently, and were met with wolf whistles and a helluva lot of head banging. Hailing from the prestigious Musicians Institute in Hollywood, she says that the school is a haven for budding musicians and will remain one of her most cherished experiences till date. It was when she was living in Los Angeles that the acting bug bit Shruti. It was then that she decided to come back and make her mark as an actress as well.

What kind of acting advice do her parents give her? “I don’t think you can really tell someone how to act. That being said, my parents do tell me what may or may not work. I’m my own master though,” says she.
Initially slotted to make her debut opposite Madhavan in Endredrum Punnagai, the actress opted out due to date hassles and chose Soham Shah’s Luck as her launch vehicle. Even though her film with Maddy didn’t work out, Shruti says she is glad about the experience and is looking forward to working with him in the near future.

The multi-faceted girl that she is, Shruti has also dabbled with playback singing. At the tender age of six, she sang in her father’s Thevar Magan, under the composition of music maestro Illayaraja. Numbers in Chachi 420 and Hey Ram followed and most recently she exercised her vocal chords for Gautham Menon’s Vaaranam Ayiram. So, why not a career in playback singing? “Well, to be honest, I haven’t considered a full time career in playback but I’m not opposed to it. Being a musician takes up a fair amount of time. I must add though, that I have enjoyed singing for films thoroughly and look forward to continuing with it,” she says.
Shruti also says that being a musician has helped her with voice-modulation and dubbing. Having grown up in Chennai, she says that though her Tamil is not suttha tamizh, she has a good command of the language. She adds, “I keep working on my reading and writing as that’s something you forget to do after school. I definitely want to dub for my films, as a large part of your performance is shaped by your voice. Besides, the fact that I’m a singer helps. I genuinely believe that one’s voice is a powerful tool.”

Juggling between the band, shooting for films and a bit of playback singing, we ask Shruti how she unwinds. “Well, I watch movies, I listen to new music and I spend time with my friends and family. They really keep me sane and wired for anything that’s yet to cross my path,” she says.

With an extremely pretty, but firm head on her shoulders, oodles of charisma and a kick-ass voice, this Haasan is all set to rock Kollywood. Is Kollywood ready to rock with her?

No comments:

Post a Comment